Typically, your initial appointment at our office will consist of a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, soft tissue, jaw joints and the surrounding muscles. It is critical to evaluate a patient’s needs based on their periodontal (gum & bone) health, their biomechanical (existing tooth structure and previous dentistry) considerations, function (joint, bite and chewing), and dentofacial (smile) characteristics. We perform an extensive oral cancer screening. We make digital radiographs and capture images of your oral cavity and review them with you. We learn about your home care habits and diet to help target the cause of any issues you may be having. Plan on at least one hour with the dentist for this examination. Most often we will have you see one of our hygienists for treatment (cleaning) on your second visit.
Once we have completed the examination, we compile the information and present it to you. We recommend the most conservative treatment plans that will allow you to achieve your oral health goals. At every stage of your treatment, we will be open and honest in advising you of your options, and we will never pressure you into making a decision that you are not comfortable with. We listen carefully to our patients, balancing their cosmetic goals with their oral health needs to create the optimal treatment plan for them. If a less expensive course of treatment will produce the desired results, that is the plan we will suggest.
Please assist us by providing the following information prior to your appointment:
- Current, digital radiographs made by a previous dentist, if applicable. You will be required to sign a release form giving us permission to contact your previous dentist in order for these to be released to us. You may also contact your previous dentist directly and request in writing that your records be sent to us. Please have them sent to our office email at email@example.com.
- A list of medications you are presently taking.
- If you have dental insurance, provide us with the necessary documentation. This will save time and allow us to help you process any claims.
- All patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Please alert the office if you have a medical condition that may be of concern prior to treatment (i.e., diabetes, high blood pressure, artificial heart valves and joints, rheumatic fever, etc.) or if you are currently taking any medication (i.e., heart medications, aspirin, anticoagulant therapy, etc.).
- If your dentist or physician has made recent radiographs, you may request that they forward them to our office via our email address firstname.lastname@example.org. If there is not enough time, please pick them up and bring them to our office. If additional radiographs are necessary, they will be made at our facility.